Because of its size, an RV is often stored away from the owner’s primary residence. A garage large enough to fit your RV is one option. But, to do this, you’ll need a specific RV garage door size.
So, how tall is an RV garage door? The short answer is between 10 and 12 feet. However, there is more information that you should know.
Here, we’ll cover the basics of RV garage measurements and how to choose a suitable door size. If you’re thinking of building an RV garage on your property, read this thoroughly!
Table of Contents
- Definition of an RV Garage
- What Sizes Are Available for RVs?
- What Is the Average Height of an RV?
- Why You May Want an RV Garage Door
- Something to Know When Choosing a Suitable RV Garage Door
- How to Choose the Suitable Size for an RV Garage Door?
Definition of an RV Garage
Exactly what it sounds like, an RV garage is a larger and more spacious garage for a recreational vehicle or motorhome.
What Sizes Are Available for RVs?
RVs are available in a variety of sizes:
- Class A RVs to be as high as 13 or 14 feet in height.
- Class Cs are the lesser apes likely to be between 11 and 12 feet tall.
- Finally, Class Bs, the smallest ones, are around 9 feet tall. Depending on the brand, they might measure to 10 feet wide and up to 18 feet in length.
What Is the Average Height of an RV?
An RV’s typical height ranges from 10 to 12 feet. But it’s important to remember that the height of an RV may vary greatly depending on the model. Class A RVs are often 13 feet to 14 feet tall, while Class B motorhomes are typically 8 feet tall.
Why You May Want an RV Garage Door
- Improve your home’s value: If you ever plan to put your house on the market, make sure your garage door is eye-catching. You’ll be able to better compete in the real estate market.
- Create the perfect look for your home: Your garage door greets you every day, so it’s possible that a new garage door can give you fresh perspectives on your home.
- Reduce your monthly energy bills: You won’t have to worry about soaring utility bills due to extreme weather conditions.
- Ensure that your valuables are protected: Water can’t get into your garage and harm your possessions because of the garage door’s uniform fit.
- Enjoy an extra layer of security: Both the weather and intruders can be kept out of your garage by your garage door. An insulated garage door is built of durable materials.
Something to Know When Choosing a Suitable RV Garage Door
A good RV garage door size is determined based on several parameters. First, an RV garage entry must be somewhat larger than the RV itself to provide an appropriate area for maneuvering. It’s important to consider the size of the entry while deciding on the size of the door.
For RV doors, the most common standard garage door heights are 10 feet, 12 feet, and 14 feet. These are the perfect dimensions for your RV. There are more options when it comes to breadth. When you combine this with the height, you’ll have plenty of alternatives.
It’s possible to order a door depending on the garage door dimensions of your RV and the entry to your garage, so long as you combine the height and the breadth.
How to Choose the Suitable Size for an RV Garage Door?
1. Know the garage size
It is a good idea to know the most popular garage door sizes before you begin searching for one. It is possible to use them as a guideline for the height and breadth of the doorway. It’s also essential to have accurate measurements to obtain the right size for your needs.
- The biggest and heaviest are Class A RVs, which may be enormous. They are difficult to store at home without adequate space. For these, garage doors from fourteen to sixteen feet tall are typically required.
- It is necessary to have fourteen-foot-high garage doors for Class C RVs.
- Class B RVs are more convenient to store since they are smaller. However, they cannot be stored in a typical garage due to their breadth. Twelve feet is the standard garage door height for this kind of vehicle.
2. Measure the garage door
A relevant video about how tall is an rv garage door to watch:
Several considerations should be made when taking measurements for a new garage door:
- The opening is an excellent spot to start measuring. Measure the breadth from one edge of the aperture to the other. Then, measure the rv garage door height from the floor to the opening’s top.
- After that, you need to measure your garage’s head and side space. Headroom is the space above the garage door’s opening to the ceiling, and side room is the space on either side. It would help if you had a foot on each side and above your garage door. However, note that each garage has its own unique set of circumstances.
- Last but not least, measure your garage’s depth. This determines how much room your garage door can open. Your garage’s depth should be at least a foot higher than your garage door’s height. This allows it to open without striking the rear wall.
3. Design of a garage door for an RV
Is it possible to install my RV garage door? The answer is yes. Most RV garage door providers offer installation services if you lack the necessary skills. But constructing a garage door of the correct size and efficiency is also a specialty of architects and engineers. You can seek help from teams of experts to choose the ideal RV garage door and parking space for your vehicle.
How wide is an RV?
Because RV doors are raised, they are usually 8-10 feet wide.
- Class A: Around 10 ft wide
- Class B: 10ft wide
- Class C: 9ft wide
How far apart should garage doors be?
We recommend at least a 4-foot separation between garage doors, depending on how you want to use the space. You’ll save room this way. Plus, you’ll be able to open the car to do maintenance in the garage.
What should you do if your garage isn’t the correct size?
It’s best to have a bespoke garage door if none of these sizes suit your garage. Just because there are standard garage door sizes doesn’t mean yours can’t be customized. Any garage door opening may be made custom.
The average garage door size is at least 12 ft tall. You will know exactly how tall your RV garage door should be if you contact a professional who knows how to draw up RV garage blueprints. That way, you can rest assured that everything will go on without a hitch. Leave a comment if you like this article. Thanks for reading!
We should work and follow our passions, which I am lucky enough to be able to build Greatwestvans. I have always taken pleasure in the thrills of travelling since I was a teenager, mesmerized by the fun of driving bikes and cars. After working as an automotive engineer for a while, I plan to open a website that shares my vehicles’ experiences and fun.