RV Interior is largely affected by sudden rains or water damage as moisture builds up on the wall and creates yellow stains on the wallpaper. That’s why RV owners must know how to match RV wallpaper in a travel trailer. Using wallpapers is way better than using regular paint in making a wall look great again.
In this article, I’ll walk you through matching your RV wallpaper in three ways: Random, Straight Across, and Drop. Continue reading down below to find out what you will need and how to apply the wallpaper to your RV wall.
Table of Contents
Things You Will Need
Before we go to how wallpapers are applied to an RV wall, you need to prepare a set of tools that you will need for the process. These tools will make wallpaper applications more manageable for you to match RV wallpaper with no problems. So, without further ado, here are some tools that you need to prepare beforehand.
- Tape measure
- Smoothing tool
- Step ladder
How to Apply Wallpaper to Your RV Wall
Once you have all of your tools ready, it’s now time for you to start applying and matching your wallpaper to your rig’s wall. There are three different ways in which you can match RV wallpaper. They are the Straight Across Match, Drop Match, and Random Match.
Check down below to see more information about each type and match RV wallpaper and apply it to your RV walls.
We’ll start with one of the easiest RV patterns, the random match. You don’t even need to think about matching wallpaper with this type of wallpaper design.
That’s because it is made up of simple designs and textures such as lines, vinyl, and stripes, to name a few, which means you’ll be applying wallpaper of the same style to your rig’s wall.
This is the most recommended pattern if you are a beginner since you can apply it any way you like, and it would still look amazing. For more information on applying a random match wallpaper to your RV wall, here’s a step-by-step instruction to help you.
- The first thing to do here is roll out the wallpaper and let it flatten on any room floor for an hour. This will help you see the pattern and how it will look on your camper wall.
- Prepare your camper’s wall by removing or cleaning the area where you’ll be installing new wallpaper. You can use warm water to help remove your old wallpaper, or you can wipe the area with a sponge to make sure that it’s dust-free.
- Measure your site and mark the sites where it will be applied. Start cutting your paper and put aside the first drop.
- Next, roll out the second piece of paper and align it to the first one you placed. Once the first and second drops are aligned perfectly, cut the second paper. To save time, you can also install the first drop directly to your wall and let it set before applying the next one.
- Continue aligning the paper drops next to each other and designate a number for each paper. Make sure to cut any residue from both the top and the bottom. Link them together correctly and check if everything matches perfectly.
- All that’s left to do is install the RV wallpaper by following the numbers and with the help of adhesive glue. Remove any air pocket by using your smoothing tool. Once you’re finished, hang some frames or any painting and decorate your space.
If the Random Match is the easiest and most recommended pattern for rig owners, the Drop Match, on the other hand, is the most complex pattern.
For this pattern, you will need to align each wallpaper diagonally from panel to panel. Therefore, you must plan out your design first because this type of RV wallpaper will use up most of your time, and make sure to get a few more wallpaper rolls.
Before choosing this wallpaper match type, it’s essential to know that there are two different ways in which you can use it.
The first one is the half-drop match pattern where your wallpaper design runs diagonally, and every strip of your ceiling line will have repeated half-drop patterns. The other one is the Multiple drop match pattern, where you will need at least four strips to make sure that the vertical pattern is aligned and matched.
Before installing a drop match wallpaper to your RV, make sure to have it pre-cut so that there will be less waste. Also, use two wallpaper rolls at the same time so that you can get the pattern right. Lastly, always buy more than what you think you need.
Here’s a step-by-step instruction on how to apply the wallpaper to help make it easier for you.
- Unroll your wallpaper and check the label to see the height of the pattern. While it is being flattened, prepare the sites to install your wallpaper and wipe it with a sponge to remove the dust.
- Next, measure the paper and check how it’s going to show up on your wall. Cut off the wallpaper with an additional 5 cm on both the top and bottom, then set it aside.
- The next thing to do is to unroll the next wallpaper and observe the pattern (make sure it matches the first drop). Cut off the same length as the first drop and do this repeatedly until you have enough to cover your walls. Assign a number for each paper you cut as it would matter a lot if you forget to do so.
- Note: The pattern on the 2nd drop needs to shift relative to the first one. The height of the shift is the second number on the wallpaper’s label..
- Roll out the third drop. Make sure it’s the same as the first one. The fourth drop should be the same as the second drop.
- The last thing you need to do is apply the wallpaper and decorate your wall. Stick the paper using adhesive glue and make sure that the pattern matches the one next to it. If there are air pockets, smoothen them out with the smoothing tool, which should do the trick.
Straight Across Match
Another complicated way of matching wallpaper is the Straight Across Match. Again, it would be best to be meticulous when planning how this wallpaper will go to your walls. It’s pretty tricky to post a wallpaper in this type, and it will take more time.
The instructions for this pattern type are easy to understand but hard to execute.
All you need to do is to align your wallpaper with your ceiling line and apply it gently. Both sides of your wallpaper should be perfectly matched and completely aligned with one another. One small wrong move can change the way your wall will look.
Additional Tips to Match RV Wallpaper
Finding the right RV wallpaper that matches is more accessible now that you know how to match RV wallpaper. To help you further in choosing the correct wallpaper pattern, here are some valuable tips.
- If your camper has a white door, use wallpaper with dark colors to make your wall’s surface look fantastic and eye-catching.
- Do not use wallpaper with a vinyl protective adhesive strip because it may be challenging to remove when you need to replace it.
- One of the most popular types of wallpapers used for an RV bedroom is one with metallic prints. It makes the room look more luxurious and extensive, which rig owners love. Make sure to choose from soft and light wallpapers for your RV bedroom.
- If you want to get valuable ideas and suggestions in choosing an RV wallpaper, you can ask for advice on an RV forum to choose a Forest River RV Wallpaper or a wallpaper for any other vehicle.
- Choose an RV wallpaper replacement that will give you a secure vibe, such as nature patterns.
- It’s better to use wood grain wallpaper for your RV kitchen to have a natural look. It’s also light, which is excellent for rig owners who love to travel in their RV.
- The wallpaper on the surface of the walls in your RV should be heat-resistant. Position it perfectly, and you can make sure that your wallpaper will last for a couple years.
Know the best way to match RV wallpaper is beneficial for all rig owners who want to make their interior look better than regular paint or damaged wallpapers.
If a wall is bare and undecorated, it may not look fascinating. On the other hand, with the correct pattern, you can make your living space look appealing and impressive. Your rig would look lively and fun with suitable wallpaper.
Did this article help you to match RV wallpaper? Leave your thoughts in the comments down below. Also, don’t forget to share this with your friends and help them with their RV wallpaper!